- AMG is a supplier of branded outdoor equipment. It is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year though its roots can be traced back to 1847 providing equipment for many historic expeditions, the Scouts, Duke of Edinburgh’s Award and generations of outdoor enthusiasts.
- Renowned for designing and developing expedition equipment used for decades in the world’s most extreme environments, AMG has, over time, expanded its ranges to include family tents, awnings, sleeping bags, rucksacks and camping equipment. Its impressive portfolio includes market-leading brands such as Vango®, F10 Series®, Lichfield® and Blacks of Greenock®. In addition, AMG is the long term the distributor of Rossignol® snowsports equipment and apparel, Swedish stove brand Trangia® and Wayfayrer® expedition food.
- The existing owner-managers, Stephen Newlands (CEO), Stephen Craig (Commercial and Financial Director) and Glenn Andrews (Product Director), have worked together for more than 20 years and for the last 14 have run the business, driving significant growth.
Why we invested:
- AMG has a long established, leading and premier position
- Its strong brands, which have exceptional heritage, alongside AMG’s reputation for it’s innovation and it’s successful track record of bringing new technologies and products to market
- Highly experienced management team seeking a partner to support their compelling and deliverable plan for growth
Size at investment: Undisclosed
Date of investment: November 2016
GCP board member: Kirsty McDonald
How we are making a difference:
- GCP is backing the senior management team to achieve their growth plans for the business through developing new products, investment in the AMG brands, geographical expansion and continuing to work closely with their core customers in supplying high quality products.
“As the business continues to deliver against our long term growth plans, we are delighted to welcome GCP as a shareholder in AMG and a partner in the business. GCP has been supportive and proactive to deal with throughout the transaction and they have delivered on what they promised at the outset. We believe they will be a great fit with the AMG culture and we look forward to an exciting future for the business”
Steve Newlands, CEO of AMG